Sunday, September 25, 2011


So today the journey begins, the journey to finding my eye, my style, the reason why I love to photograph things, why I am rarely happy with what I have done and why I am less confident about my work than others tell me I should be. I am excited to take these first steps, so let's begin.
Thinking on why I take photographs, I feel I have a desire to capture something that has caught my eye, something that has awed me, or made my heart race or intrigued me. I want to capture that feeling, to take it with me, to ensure I don't forget the smells, the sounds, the feelings that I had when I saw this thing or this place. And yet sometimes I take the shot and it fails to carry with it the sense I wanted it to. This is what I want to develop more. I have to admit I once took photos simply for me, shots of things and places I loved or spotted and never wanted to forget. Some places and things I wanted to share with my family. Now since I have begun to blog and have had thoughts of having a slightly more commercial aspect to my work I have lost some of the passion and the delight I once had. I feel like I spend so much time on this hobby, I don't work and my husband has always encouraged and supported anything I have enjoyed doing. Yet now that we are empty nesters I feel like I should somehow be contributing to the income we have. I have begun to take photos and then look at them with thoughts of selling them some how some where. I don't like that at all. It has taken the joy and the simplicity out of photography for me. So I have to take a step back I think and just love what I do again, forget the selling aspect and just get back to grass roots again.
I really don't like shooting pictures of people much, at least not portrait style shots, I much prefer the candid style of taking people photos. I don't like arranging people in photos, it makes me feel bossy and annoying. I prefer flowers, macro anything, and I love doorways, gates and lane ways, they make me wonder where they lead, who lives there, what goes on behind those doors.

9 comments:

  1. I think your pictures are beautiful. I too love gates and doors and wonder the same things as you. I find that sharing the journey with others makes learning so much more fun. Hopefully, as you go through the course your passion will return to the level it once was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe our best work comes from our heart, and if we create from that place other people will connect with it. I'm happy to hear that you are following your heart and taking a step back to find the joy and simplicity in photography again. This journey will be an interesting one for you, reconnecting with your heart, I can already tell. I can't wait to follow along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your shots and I am often awed by shots like these because I never seem to find anything that spectacular. Stepping back is good, I have found when I focus on the monetary aspects of a hobby, craft or skill it does become burdensome. If you are meant to sell your work you will know when the right time comes, but for now just enjoy the creative outlet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your images are wonderful; I am also intrigued by pathways, doorways and winding ways... they draw you in, and you wonder what is on the other side, who goes there and why. You are suggesting stories with your photos, stories that your viewers have to come up with on their own. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a macro lover myself - and the mystery and possibility found in doors, arches, windows is very intriguing and beautiful.

    I find some experiences are very, very difficult to fully capture in the way I experienced them. Some things I've captured more fully as my skill level advances, but some still...well, I'm learning when to just put down my camera and enjoy what's happening without the frustration of trying to capture it. I'm still a beginner, maybe as time goes on I'll be able to capture more and more of these moments in their fullness.

    Your photos here are crisp and inviting. I like your use of color in the bottom photo and your use of light and shadow in the top one.

    I've recently been contemplating adding a commercial component to my photography too -- and had a similar reaction -- it seems to lesson my love and enjoyment of the hobby. Maybe it's too soon or maybe it's just not the right move. I'm not sure, but it was nice to hear you put a voice to it.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations for taking this step of finding your photographic eye. I hope along the way that you will find the freedom to express yourself and gain lots of confidence that what you produce is really nice work! I totally know what you mean...I question myself ALLLLLL the time.

    Thank you so much for your visit and for encouraging me in my journey out of depression. Bless your heart. By the way, I looked everywhere to find your name! ???

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photos look beautiful. I think you're well on your way in your journey, you know what you like and don't like. I don't much care for photographing people either. I like things I can arrange to my own whims :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can relate with the part about taking a picture and wanting to capture the feeling you felt and it doesn't come through in the image. I too need to learn more about how to achieve that. I am also not much into portraits and I do love macro photography.
    I love your pictures. The doors are very inviting and the color is very beautiful. I think you did a wonderful job capturing the essence of "welcome"

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like you're gotten a really good start with Kat's class. In taking the class my confidence and photography improved tremendously!! I love your photos, espcially since they have arches; I love aches!

    ReplyDelete